nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:56:17 -0700

On Jul 2, 2007, at 9:41 PM, Michael Nave wrote:

With regard to number 1, amateur fruit and vegetable
growing is not about marketing. It's about love. If
the internet generation doesn't want to join a fruit
and vegetable group because they don't like the
website, it would be pointless for them to join NAFEX
or NNGA. Trying to make a fancier website to attract
these people would be like making a trail of bananas
to get a gorilla to enter an opera house. The gorilla
would not appreciate it when it got there.

Marketing is not tantamount to flashy gew gaw websites. Marketing is getting the word out to your target audience. I've loved growing fruit for years but I had never heard of NAFEX until I happened upon CRFG. And I only happened upon CRFG because someone on Tribe.net told me I should Google "exotic fruit group" if I wanted to find a group to help me with grafting. Fruit lovers can't find you if they don't know you're there. If they don't even know such groups exist.