nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Getting the word out WAS Re: NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 08:10:25 -0700 (PDT)

I do agree with you that we should accommodate people with all levels of interest.
Also we have to consider people that come to nafex for different reasons. We have research people like Dr. Clark from Arkansas. Joseph Postman and Tom Beckman from USARS. I am sure we have a few extension agent as well (I want to really increase in the group). We have people who own small pick-your-own establishment, fruit tree nurseries (large and small).
these people may not have the time to be active on the mailing list, but we do not want to forget about them.

A paypal account doesnt seem like big issue and would add convenience.
Having multiple ways of accessing information and doing the billing, I think is a good thing. This will be brought up at the meeting. We just need to consider all aspects. We have a new tax status now and we need to look over this issue as well as many others, so I am hardly in the position to say this will be done.

"William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com> wrote:

> I don't think you lose anyone important if they can't be bothered to write a check and stamp an envelope. If they aren't interested enough in fruit trees to write out a check, I'm also quite sure they would have nothing to contribute to NAFEX.

I suppose it depends on who you consider important. I have a lot of
interests competing for my attention. I'm not young, but I'm a beginner
at fruit growing. I'm enjoying it, but I'm not obsessed with it, to the
exclusion of everything else. If you make it easy for me to join NAFEX,
I'm sure I will. If not, I might get around to it and I might not. As I
say, I have a LOT of interests, and NAFEX isn't the only group competing
for my attention. Those that make it especially easy to join - and to
renew - have a big advantage.

Now, I'm sure I'm not "important" to the group, except that the whole
point of this discussion was to increase membership. That means bringing
in newbies like me - and younger newbies, in particular. They might
indeed have "nothing to contribute to NAFEX" right now, except their
questions. But if this is what you want, then you might as well accept a
declining membership.

Bill

--
The key to understanding the American system is to imagine that you have
the power to make nearly any law you want. But your worst enemy will be

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----

Please do not send binary files.