nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple varities

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple varities
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 19:20:02 -0500

Varieties are often zone specific. Thus an apple tasting bland in a warm
climates can be described as exquisite in a colder climate. The same is
true for soils. Some apple varieties do fine in clay and some are definitely
better in sandy soil.
So the appreciation of apple varieties is not only a matter of taste. The
quality differ depending on where the apple is grown.
Hélène, zone3-4, where the weather is fine but consistently below 32 F.