nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Apple varities

  • From: "jfrisk" <jfrisk@pionet.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Apple varities
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:04:37 -0600

Apple varieties do have soil and temperature differences. Some varieties do
much better in my climate. I can grow good tasting Golden Russet and
Ashmead Kernel but Roxbury Russet was a total failure. Empire is a good
apple for us as is Chieftain. Gala suffers from every bug and disease so I
seldom get a clean apple. Jonagold can be a very good apple. Last year,
Paragon an Arkansas Black type apple was my best apple. It was great for
drying and not bad for fresh eating.

Judson L. Frisk, SW Iowa Zone 5.

_____