nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple varities

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple varities
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:18:46 -0800 (PST)

Lisa, I did a lot of internet researching to decide on a few apple cultivars
for my
poor soil & z4-5. Wolf River was one I chose because it was always described
as
disease-tolerant & grower friendly. (My main goal is a reliable, easy care
orchard,
with variety.) This was also the last cultivar of apple to die in an
abandoned
orchard (1930's or 40's) in this neighborhood. I hesitate to post all my
notes here
because it could get very long-winded, and my search was region- and
culture-specific. I recommend you do google-searches with key phrases. Lots
of
info available!

Tanis Cuff, s.WI

--- Charles Paradise <> wrote:

> wolf river - bad idea - poor soft quality - only virtue is large - a good
> large
> apple is 20 oz pippen, avail. from worcester county horticultural
> society....
>
> Charlie Paradise Massachusetts
>

> Lisa Almarode wrote:
>
> > Just for fun, these are the apples scions I've got
> > this year that I will attempt to graft this year;

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!