nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rose hip exploring

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: "machelp@attglobal.net, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rose hip exploring
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 12:12:21 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Rose hip exploring
I agree that Queen Elizabeth produces a lot of hips, but the quality of them is pretty low for eating purposes.  The best rose for overall production AND quality I have found is Rosa dumalis (see http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/rosa/rosa/rosadum.html )  which has as many as 11 hips to a cluster and very good flavor.  The character and quality in the few I have are as variable as apples - early, late, tart, sweet, high flavor, etc.
-Lon Rombough

Mark,

At some point, probably while perusing the Arnold Arboretum library I copied a
short list someone
had compiled of what they considered superior fruting roses.  Some of these
appear to be tea rose
varieties:

Roses w/best production of hips:Old Blush, Queen Elizabeth,Paradise,Roger
Lambelin,Rosa eglanteria
(Eglantine).