nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Rose hip exploring

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Rose hip exploring
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 07:44:37 -0800

Mike,
I found a patch of rugosa roses this morning that had 1 inch diameter hips
that have been softened by frost and constant rain. You might think these
are fermented fruits, but I would consider them more a bletted fruit. It
doesn't appear that anything has been growing in them and making alcohol or
other by-products from the sugars and staches in the hips. These had white
flowers in the summer. Now all the leaves have dropped leaving only
clusters of orangey-red persimmon-colored hips. I picked a handful of them.
In a pile they look like a bunch of cherry tomatoes. I have never tasted
hips in this softened and well aged condition before, so I gave it a try.
You described some hips with a peach flavor which inspired me to do a little
fruit exporing on my own. Here is my description of what I experienced...

Three things hit me with the first bite: sweetness, tartness, and creamy
texture. I was surprised at how sweet these were. I think the cold weather
has converted some of the starches to sugars. There was a good balance
between sweet and tart. I know the hips are high in vitamin C, so I think
much of the tart flavor must come from that component. The texture was
creamy, like a good ripe pear. I must warn you not to bite too deep into
the hip or you will get a mouthful of seeds. In fact most of the hip is
made of hard seed, like a cluster or tiny pebbles. There was a 1/4 inch
layer of creamy pulp around the seedy center for the 1 inch diameter samples
I was nibbling. The flavor was subtle. If you know what rose hip jam
tastes like, that was a big flavor component. There might be some peachy
flavor too, but what the experience was most like was eating Thompson
Seedless grapes but with a creamy texture and a few hints of guava.
Compared to the samples I tried in the summer, I would rate the overripe
rugosa rose hips as a much tastier fruit. When I get some established for
use in my kitchen, I will wait until December to harvest the hips.

-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 7B/8A