nafex - [NAFEX] Rose grafting question(s)

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rose grafting question(s)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:13:56 EST

In a message dated 12/7/2003 11:47:00 PM US Eastern Standard Time, Mauch1@aol.com writes:

Questions:
1) Can roses be dormant grafted?  I know they are usually budded commercially.

2) Any techniques when doing the grafting you would
recommend to increase chances of success?

Today is the 10th and I've not seen an answer to this question, So I'm going to guess at it.

I have no doubt roses can be grafted. Most material is budded because it is cheaper and faster for the nurseries. I've grafted Prunus which is usually budded. Persimmon, apple and pear also.

Here is my recommendation on what to try. Cut your scion wood early Feb, no later as roses become active early. Maybe even collect now, before it can be winter damaged. Store in the refrig.

Then use a splice graft or whip & tongue about two weeks after active growth has begun. If you can get your hands on a grafting machine it may save the fingers from all those thorns.  If you have successfully grafted other material you should be able to achieve success with roses also.

If I'm wrong, someone please jump in.

Jerry