msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Morongo MSAR and Sawtooth fire

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Morongo MSAR and Sawtooth fire
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:48:08 -0700

I'm not sure about the fixed wing craft so much as they are staging from locations down the hill mostly. We are staging the helo craft locally. I am not a pilot so my terminology probably isn't correct! <G> I know we have several of what we call "skeeters" - (the large helo's with the tube hanging down) that hold fire retardant. They've been sucking up the treated water from our wastewater plant to mix with retardant. They are LOUD. Then we have a big crew of smaller helo's that carry scoop buckets. Today only recon craft in the air.

I know there is a lot of talk about the Super Tankers that should be in use. Apparently Evergreen has several DC10s I believe sitting on an airbase near us waiting for the red tape to be cut so they can take to the air. The talk I hear is that they are not fullly tested and therefore some are hesitant to use them in such dangerous and shifting air currents. We DON'T want to add any deaths to this fire if we can help it! I know there is some talk about the 747 but the same wind issue is at play. I'll try to keep you updated on the aircraft use as I hear it!

Chris Pennington