msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:18:31 -0500

I've had several people suggest to me that standards should include being able to ride someone else's horse through the obstacle course. I can see that as a possible option for more advanced riders / team leaders. I see that as being a wreck waiting to happen for far too many typical MSAR riders. And I've had plenty of people say NO WAY they'd let others ride their horse ... which tells me the riding skills in their team aren't up to par for good horsemanship.
Does anyone know if within any level of NASAR K-9 skills, if a handler required to perform a skills test with someone else's dog?

I can see major safety problems and probable legal issues arise should such mandate be required.  However,  limitations of handling a team members horse is an important factor.  We require that our team members and horses have the ability to be both ponied and lead by hand.  There are Case Law incidents on the books that could be used against the MSAR rider, Team Leader and those mandate such a requirement to ride someone else's horse.  Vicarious liability is a double edged sword.

Keep in mind that MSAR mounts are private property and most  horses are matched to the rider.  Unless such a standard includes minimum height and weight requirements for both horse and rider, then some serious safety issues will come into play.   Keep in mind that Federal ADA laws prohibits such a requirement for people.  Lets just say, a team has two advanced riders and both are in training for Team Leader and both have completed advanced MSAR standards;  One rider 5'2', 125 lbs and rides a 14 hand small bodied arab and the other rider is 6'6" 270 lbs and rides a 16.2 hand draft-quarter cross (get the picture).  Well..... call me weak rider and someone with poor horsemanship skills, because will NOT allow THAT person on my arab!   Nowadays any kind of a set of Standards need to address both safety issues and legal issues. Just food for thought.

Having standards that include some kind of method to disqualify someone for inadequate skills / inappropriate mount will reduce the potential for those riders/mounts becoming a hazard on that MSAR team. But you also need to have someone there who DOES recognize the problems - sometimes not obvious to the average rider - with the authority to say no.
---
In my opinion, an average rider would be equal to an intermediate rider, and someone who should NEVER be granted such authority.  I agree there are many more skills required of a trainer or evaluator than just being able to say "no".

You an made excellent point about NOT forgetting the RESCUE part of the SAR equation!  The SAR folks in North Carolina, have a great course for SAR Tech-II's which has them make/create all kinds of interesting life saving items from a couple of ready packs.  I could be way off base, but as the overall picture of MSAR skills becomes clearer, it appears that there are a great number of MSAR Teams throughout this Country who are not qualified to perform the basic tasks needed for a SAR mission.

Tomï
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland