msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:49:45 -0500

Una Smith wrote:
Tomi wrote:

Day Dreaming- I have often thought a great MSAR-only event is a 5-mile
Judged Trail Course.

Exactly!  That's what I am trying to pull together for ESCAPE
2004, the annual New Mexico SAR conference.  But it could be a
regular part of MSAR field training.

MSAR trail obstacles could include:

Mud is always a good test and maybe adding a few inches of pooled water can more of a challenge.    I like using obstacles that are as nature or realistic as possible,  This time of year, corn stalks hanging by fishing line makes a great barrier to walk through (the crunchy ones work best).  One of the best tube tests I have seen was a U-shaped barrier made from round bales of hay.  The two outside lines of the U-turn were about 18 feet apart, with a center line of bales that separated the center.  A dozen or so 3 to 6 inch tree thick limbs make a great walk through obstacle (they need lots of bounce to them).  Walking between two traffic flares place 10 feet apart or the distance between of the center line to the edge of a road is always a crowd pleaser.  Even simple tasks like dismounting and cleaning each hoof then getting back on or walking by a deer decoy can be a challenge for some.  I has seen some (so called) seasoned horses wig out when they have to walk over the painted diagonal line of a crosswalk.

I would love to attend your SAREX, but I can't seem to find New Mexico on any of my East Coast maps :-\

Tomï
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland