msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR standard, levels

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR standard, levels
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 18:30:42 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> Jorene wrote:
> >>For example, how do people feel about having 3 levels in the
> >>basic MSAR standards that are supposed to be applicable
> >>nationwide? (Entry level, standard MSAR, and leader/management
> >>level)
>
> Or: basic, intermediate, and advanced

Likely there will be a numbering system similar to the NASAR SARTECH
method - MSAR III, MSAR II, MSAR I ... or something similar.

> Una wrote:
> >I don't know if there is enough stuff to justify a leader/
> >/management level MSAR standard, as distinct from SARTECH I.
> >Please outline the scope of this proposed standard.
>
> I have been thinking about this, but not getting far. What
> leader/management level issues are specific to MSAR?

We haven't gotten into the specifics yet regarding what knowledge/skills
would be identified as more suited to a team leader type than the "normal"
MSAR rider. SARTECH I addresses a lot of leadership training, so our focus
actually has the potential to stay more "advanced MSAR" status. Perhaps more
advanced rider skills? Additional training in equine First Aid? Something
more leadership related for MSAR, like training for Liaison? Lots of options
to consider, when we get there. ;)

Since I didn't see any objections to the general concept of 3 levels within
the core/generic MSAR standards, it appears we have come up with an approach
people think will work. Thanks for the input!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee
visit NASAR on www.nasar.org