msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:24:33 -0700

Tomï
I like you way of thinking !

Some people live for competition and others have no desire.  Another interesting idea is as follows;

Set up a judged obstacle trail ride along with clinics.  Each rider will get assigned a # . The riders will be judged and scored according to #s but  no names. The obstacles will be set up out on the trail so other contestants will not be able to view other individual riders crossing obstacles, mainly only judges will see people cross..

After the obstacle trail ride, the scores will be posted by #s .  If the group is large enough no one will recognize the #s or you could have it where the riders do not even wear #s but before the competition starts the judges will have a description of each horse and rider team (example - Rider #4, paint horse, red saddle blanket and rider with straw hat.) Of course in this case each rider will know their own #.

This way no one has to know who the winners or losers are because there does not even have to be any , unless you want to, but every one will know how they rate and compare with the other riders.

Each will get their own score sheet and this way they will know where they have to improve.

You may ask why a ride like this important ? - Because from my experience working with many riders I can tell you that most riders over estimated their own and their horses skills.( Its just human nature may be we all do it?)  In this manor they can rate there skills against others in order to improve their selves and not feel intimidated or self conscious about how they will do because few people other then them selves need to know how they did.

There is of course alot more to this scored obstacle trail ride and I even have score sheets, but I believe you get the idea.

Would this be a good idea for a major MSAR get together???

OF course like Tomi said we will have to find a centrally located spot ,  Preferably where there has already been snow flurries and the horses water buckets are already freezing,  hmm let see, MINNESOTA COMES TO MIND FOR ME!  (Chuckle, Chuckle)

TRYEN TO STAY WARM

TER