msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Rider skills
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:59:41 -0700

I really like what I'm seeing suggested here from Tomi and Terry. Tomi wrote "Confidence, experience and exposure are the key elements."  Terry wrote "... most riders over estimated their own and their horses skills ..." I agree!

Trying to come up with viable methods to solve rider/mount issues isn't easy. One solution is MSAR teams taking on new/different riding challenges with every training ... and having regular riding-related training in addition to ground/classroom training. (I'm remembering Chris' report of the rider at SAR City who said she hadn't ridden her horse in several months. Big Ooops!)

We've discussed the idea of having some kind of designed course options for national standards - not remotely ready to go there yet on details, but I like the concept! An arena-field merge that also takes the MSAR rider out into the field and through a scored course is one I particularly like.

Something else I've noticed is many MSAR teams focus more on the Search training and far less on the Rescue. For this MSAR Team Competition-to-be <g> with obstacles, orienteering, tracking, etc. ... don't forget to include at least one "more complicated" rescue as part of a dismounted test! ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,