msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Riding Instructors

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Riding Instructors
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:07:37 -0800

Instructor Qualification
A couple of days ago some one had a post that touched on the above subject.
 I remember it was a good post but I accidentally deleted it and I'm not sure
 who wrote it.  Any way in the post was a phrase that went something like -
"Some can do but not teach." This is true but what is worst is some can talk
 but not do. I will explain;
True Example #1- Some years ago on a QH show circuit I met a man that only
 showed in halter but never rode in classes. Yet in the warm up arena he was
always out there giving instruction to youth riders on how to better control their
 riding horses. He always knew  75% of the right things to say . He walked the
 walk and talked the talk. A year or so later he brought a horse to me for
 training. The horse was already broke when he bought it.
 When I asked what he wanted me to work on, he said everything.  I was
confused,  because he was always the know it all about horses type. (At least
 that was the way he talked.)   I than asked him to demonstrate his horses
abilities for me, at least than I would know  where to start. I was very surprised
 to learn how little he knew about  riding or training.  He even had me buffaloed!

True Example #2- I found out that a person that I had trained for got a job as a
 instructor for a group . Part of the instruction he gave was on how to train your
 horse to different cues.  He had a very good horse. The problem was that I was
 the one who had trained that horse and other horses of his to except and
 respond to these cues ( I call it installing buttons.)

The moral of my story is if you want entertainment , watch Jay Leno, but if you
are going to listen to a instructor and than try to take that information, invest your
 valuable time and try  to train your horses, you better check out the instructor to
see if they are more than just  talk.You see even if the want- a - bees know 75%
of the right things to say , but  do not know all the correct steps in  training a
horse to do different maneuvers they may be doing  more harm  than good in
what they tell other people.  (I believe that is called blowing smoke.)
I believe before any group hires a instructor to put on a clinic for them they should
 first see if that trainer has ever proved themselves,  shown in any major
competitions or at the very least trained their own horse.
 Because like I said a so called instructor may walk the
 walk and talk the talk but have never proven their methods in real
 life situations.

TER