msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] ICS Field Coordinator

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] ICS Field Coordinator
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:22:39 -0700

J. Glaze wrote:
>Education is the key if we want to continue to be utilized.

It sure is. One opportunity to educate that seems too often
missed is the conversation between the Incident Commander and
the unit's call-out contact. The contact person should have
a list of questions to ask the IC, such as: Can we help you
search at night? Can we help by staying multiple days? Can
we help you haul in supplies or equipment to base camp? Can
we help you by packing anything into the field? Can we help
with a hasty search? Whatever you can do, offer to do; the
IC may have little idea what you can do. Lastly, be sure you
convey a positive "can do X", not a negative "do you expect
us to X".

>How about putting together a realistic list of advantages
>and limitations

Done!

Here is what the Source Management Systems Workbook (used in
training New Mexico SAR Field Coordinators) has to say about
Mounted Resources:

Advantages
- Travel at a slightly faster hourly speed than hasty searchers.
- Rider sits higher, has a different perspective, and can see
further.

Limitations
- A greater logistical support need: trailers, feed, corral
facilities.
- Hoof prints destroy footprints and other subtle clues.
- As rider is further from ground, less likely to discover
footprints and other subtle clues.
- limited to trails and open country, can't effectively search
thick vegetation or rugged terrain.

Sources
- Sheriffs posse.
- Organized clubs
- Non-affiliated individuals.

Most of the above points are either irrelevant or incorrect;
others may apply to unskilled non-affiliated volunteers, but
do not apply to well qualified mounted SAR (MSAR) units. In
lieu of the above, I suggest:

Advantages
- Travel at least twice as fast as groundpounders.
- Travel at least twice as long as groundpounders.
- Travel far more easily than groundpounders off trails,
in mud, in snow, in rough terrain, and in thick brush.
- Travel many places where vehicles cannot go, some places
where groundpounders cannot safely go.
- On horseback a searcher's point of view (POV) is about 3
feet/1 meter higher than on foot; may be more likely to
find clues not on trail and/or at a distance.
- Riders can devote more attention to mission assignment;
horses watch their own footing.
- Backcountry riders more likely to have personal experience
of specific wilderness areas rarely visited by other means.
- Horses hear, see, and detect scents better than humans do.
- Horses have excellent night vision, comparable to dogs.
- Horses carry far more weight than groundpounders: rescue
gear, repeater radio, power supply, extra water, exhausted
dog or groundpounder, subject.
- Powerful, high clearance, often 4WD vehicles.
- Haul-in services: extra water, food for base camp operations.
- Trailer should have many gallons of potable water to spare.
- Trailer may have toilet.

Limitations
- Enormous disparity between unskilled and skilled horsemen
and horses; difficult for non-horsemen to evaluate skills.
- On horseback a searcher may be more likely than on foot to
miss small or subtle clues.
- Horses don't know not to step on footprints or other clues.
- Horses have limited ability to climb.

Sources
- Affiliated MSAR units or other SAR units with horse teams.
- Sheriff's reserve (deputized).
- Sheriff's posse (not deputized).
- Equestrian industry professional associations.
- Local chapters of national equestrian associations: e.g.,
Backcountry Horsemen of America.
- Organized riding clubs.
- Non-affiliated individuals.

Additions or changes, anyone?

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico