msar-riders - [MSAR] Foot gear

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Foot gear
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:12:58 -0700

A quick interjection into our ongoing standards discussion! <G> I
recently bought some footgear that some of you might be interested in. I
specifically was looking for something that would allow me to function
as well on foot as in the saddle since some searches end up with both. I
have lace-up packers with a low heel but they still don't really cut it
if climbing is involved or much walking carrying a 24 hr pack. I looked
at some of the "tennis shoe" style boots but none really fit well enough
to do duty- too much slop. Then I found a nice pair- Ariat has a new
line out called "Endurance" for less than $80. They appear to be well
constructed, have a large enough heel to be effective in stirrups but
small enough to not cause discomfort while hiking. Padded ankle cuffs
and of course the Ariat arch insert. They look like hiking boots. I
have worn them in several different situations now for several weeks -
including during that all day training extending into night time dinner
I did at SAR CITY. They are extremely comfortable!! I think once I pair
them with a pair of durable gaiters or some half chaps they will be
perfect for MSAR missions.

Thought I'd share as some of you may be in the same position!

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR