msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Foot gear

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Foot gear
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:03:15 -0700

Una Smith wrote:

> If getting your foot caught in a stirrup is a concern, I
> recommend either a saddle with safety stirrup bars (the
> kind that let the stirrup leathers slide off the saddle)
> or else tapaderos (toe covers) on the stirrups themselves.
> Safety stirrup bars may not be a good idea, if you ride
> in steep terrain. You can order tapaderos by mail from
> many hunting and horse packing suppliers.

Low heels on boots are a good idea in rough terrain. Several reasons why
I believe this to be true- your mileage may vary! <G>I agree about
safety stirrups. I have seen them break loose at inappropriate times in
rough terrain. Not a good thing hanging over a drop while rushing
uphill. <G> I don't care for tapaderos for two reasons- they have a
tendency to get caught in brush and they are heavy. I don't hang
anything heavier on my horse then I absolutely have to. <G> Yes I know
that taps are supposed to protect against brush and in some kinds of
brush they probably do. In our brush they actually aren't very
efficient. I prefer a low reasonable heel and these Ariat boots seem to
fill the bill for hiking as well as riding. Will I give up my packers
for normal riding? Not a chance! They are major comfortable, provide
great ankle support and protection, and are well broken in! Although I
have hiked many a mile in them that isn't their strength and I'd never
want to wear them with a pack on my back! ouch!

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR