msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:09:35 -0700

From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> Una wrote:
> >> Jorene has mentioned she does not belong to NASAR. I hope she
> >> and the rest of the committee will make it a priority not only
> >> to join NASAR, but to take courses and pass the certifications
> >> for at a minimum SARTECH II. Before even attempting to write
> >> a leader/management level standard, you all really should know
> >> from firsthand experience what the SARTECH I standard entails.

> Jorene wrote:
> >Committee members are already SARTECH II certified or equivalent

> Having experience in SAR to the level of a SARTECH II [...]

Perhaps you're not familiar with the SARTECH I requirements that you think
are necessary to demonstrate appropriate leadership knowledge. What you
didn't understand is we are already there, or higher. Apparently I wasn't
clear in my first response, so I'll try again.

All committee members are *at least* SARTECH II or equivalent. All have
training / experience that fits in the SARTECH I category, which is Team
Leader / Crewleader status. All have *at least* a Team Leader status and
presumably earned that status with demonstrable skills. Several have
additional training and experience that is particularly pertinent to
leadership and MSAR standards that goes beyond the scope of SARTECH I
training.

If that last doesn't make sense, as an example recall that I'm in SAR
Management, complete with rolling with the Hasty Team for all SAR,
Swiftwater, Technical Rescue, etc. In the disaster-response arena I have
Incident Commander status coordinating all trained/untrained volunteers
(exception is Red Cross) in a 2 county region and work directly with
multiple city, county and federal agencies at the management / Emergency Ops
Center level. I see no value in investing time and money to "prove" that I
am also capable as a Team Leader / supervisor since demonstrating that
knowledge and skills was necessary for me to move higher in management. ;)

> [...] is not the
> same thing as having experience taking (or delivering!) a NASAR
> SARTECH II course and exam.

I'm not aware of any plans for anyone on the NASAR MSAR standards committee
to be involved in the NASAR ground SAR side of training and testing. We are
addressing MSAR standards. If you're concerned with potential instructor or
evaluator skills for MSAR, several of us already have experience in that
capacity - perhaps all - which gives us a good handle on developing some
kind of pre-requisite for that status in MSAR standards.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee
visit NASAR on www.nasar.org