msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR-Riders standards, go for it

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders standards, go for it
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:16:05 -0600

Tomï wrote:
>Perhaps now is the time MSAR-Rider group to form a similar
>committee and suggest minimum performance standards that can
>be used by all volunteer teams regardless of their demographics.

Sure. I know NASAR sells copies of their standards, and I
expect they also impose conditions of use. A free standard
would be a good alternative. Certainly there is room for
one in this "market". And NASAR is already standing on our
shoulders, as it were, because they are adopting stuff from
existing standards, written by...us! Tomï, I know TROTSAR
has well developed standards; let's just start with those.

It is entirely practical. If there is one thing Jorene and
I really disagree about, it is the true source of authority.
I think she has bought into NASAR because she perceives it as
a source of received authority, and necessary to her success.
As though a good MSAR standard would need to be propped up.
In contrast, I know true authority comes from the bottom up.
Such has been my experience, in a venue far larger and more
public than the world MSAR community: I helped "administer"
Usenet for a few years, as a member of group-advice and the
backup moderator of news.announce.newgroups.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico