msar-riders - [MSAR] NASAR certifications

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] NASAR certifications
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 08:00:22 -0600

All else aside, there are significant practical barriers to
adoping wholesale any NASAR standard: (1) low availability
of NASAR instructors, courses, and exams, and (2) high cost
of NASAR courses and certification exams.

Jorene wrote:
>Do you have another vehicle for launching nationwide MSAR standards
>that you'd suggest? Is there some other existing national standard
>for ground searchers that you'd prefer over NASAR ground standards?

I recommend reading the archives of SAR-L, where this exact
issue was discussed at length a few months ago. It applies
to all SAR standards and certification schemes, not just to
MSAR.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico