msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NASAR standards
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:56:32 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>

> Jorene wrote:
> >For liability purposes any organization to be able to claim compatibility
> >with national standards is certainly less vulnerable than those with "we
> >made these up" or "we got these from another group" standards.
>
> "we made these up"?! That's insulting.

Una, there are plenty of MSAR teams who wrote their own standards. Why would
it be considered insulting that those teams made the positive effort to
write their own standards? There are still MSAR teams out there with no
written standards, and they are extremely vulnerable to liability.

Those with existing written standards are better protected legally, but the
best liability protection is to have a national standard and comply with
that national standard.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA