msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders standards, go for it

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders standards, go for it
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:47:57 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> Tomï wrote:
> >Perhaps now is the time MSAR-Rider group to form a similar
> >committee and suggest minimum performance standards that can
> >be used by all volunteer teams regardless of their demographics.
>
> Sure. I know NASAR sells copies of their standards, and I
> expect they also impose conditions of use. A free standard
> would be a good alternative.

NASAR standards are available for SARTECH III, II, I and Crewleader III for
about $20. The book is about 90 pages. One would assume the publication of
that book to make it available has expenses that need to be covered.

The conditions of use are related to "if you want to be NASAR certified"
then you need to be tested by authorized NASAR evaluators and such. If you
don't choose to go there, it is simple enough to just use their standard
without testing for the NASAR certification.

> And NASAR is already standing on our
> shoulders, as it were, because they are adopting stuff from
> existing standards, written by...us! Tomï, I know TROTSAR
> has well developed standards; let's just start with those.

We did our homework - which you should also do if you decide to take on this
project independently - which resulted in finding a fair amount of
similarity from one basic standard to the next. (Among others, we looked at
TROTSAR standards. If you think we should also take a look at your own MSAR
standards, feel free to send me a copy.) What we did NOT find was any single
source that appeared to be applicable nationwide, because all were designed
for use in that response region.

> It is entirely practical. If there is one thing Jorene and
> I really disagree about, it is the true source of authority.
> I think she has bought into NASAR because she perceives it as
> a source of received authority, and necessary to her success. [...]
> As though a good MSAR standard would need to be propped up.
> In contrast, I know true authority comes from the bottom up.

Apparently you're judging (and condemning) NASAR without being very familiar
with it. NASAR has an established method to develop and implement new
standards. That includes a selection process for those who work on that
project, documentation requirements, a progress report process, and a
vetting process from the potential users of those standards ... so support
comes from the ground up. (Or, as you put it, from the bottom up.) There is
also a review process going forward, and an established method to ensure
consistency of application.

We obviously understand the need for input and support from the end user, or
I wouldn't be spending hours every day dealing with questions and comments
regarding the NASAR MSAR standards in progress here, and from the other
online source I established for this very purpose. ;)

NASAR is an established organization, recognized and respected nationwide.
They are also partnered with numerous other organizations that address SAR.
The primary complaints I hear about NASAR are member fees being high, and
availability of certification testing is a problem in many areas. I agree. I
hear the current Board is aware of the member fee problem and is trying to
address this. The solution for bringing NASAR certified instructors to your
area is to send your best people off to get certified as
instructors/evaluators. One other complaint is regarding the NASAR standards
being too high ... but perhaps local expectations are too low? ;)

We all agree there is a need for nationwide MSAR standards. I considered the
idea of using MSAR-Riders as a source for writing standards, and saw too
many potential problems. MSAR-Riders is a great source for discussion, but
is off the radar of anyone who is not a member. Nor does MSAR-Riders have
any processes for selection of committee members to write a proposed
national standard, a review process, method to ensure consistency of
application, etc. (A "free" standard has no gurantees of consistent
application, which rather defeats the purpose of creating a national
standard.) And a very big concern of mine was the potential that MSAR
standards emerging from MSAR-Riders wouldn't appropriately address the
rider's ground SAR education ... which is a major gap in most existing MSAR
standards.

By the way, I didn't choose NASAR as the best vehicle for nationwide MSAR
standards because I'm pushing NASAR membership - I'm not even a member. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee
visit NASAR on www.nasar.org