market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Push Seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Push Seeders
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:33:30 -0600

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Push Seeders
I would love to lay my Earthway down and never pick it up again – but we are planting in newly tilled beds that had previously been pasture and the beds are anything but smooth.  Last fall that old Earthway seeded pretty darn well considering the soil texture.  There were gaps from “hopping” over clumps but we had great germination and pretty decent distribution.  In the high tunnel where the soil is very smooth, we still had the gaps because it seems like the Earthway just plain skips sometimes.  It may just need a rebuild but a new seeder sounds awfully nice right now.  Are the Jang or European seeders okay on rougher beds?

Joan
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, KS