market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Push Seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Push Seeders
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:50:53 -0800

Hello everyone,
I like my Planet Jr seeders better than my Earthway, though they are more of a "seed drill" than a "precision seeder." Has anyone had experience with Planet Jr. to compare with Jang or other newer designs? I picked up a Planet Jr. with push handles for less than $100 (probably at least 50 years old--good as new or better--new ones come with plastic hopper, which in my imagination could have static cling problems with small seeds like carrot). After I got a G tractor, I was able to find some Planet Jr's to attach to it, which I found to be necessary if planting more than one row per bed and cultivate close to the rows. The rows don't have to be straight, but they must parallel each other in the bed or you wipe out crop plants where they deviate. I assume Jang can be rigged to fit tractors similarly to Planet Jr?

Vern