market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] push seeders

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] push seeders
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:59:19 -0500

On 11-01-24 10:33 PM, Thomas Kumpf wrote:
> As for the Jang, I have looked at them and think they are OK, I think they
> are pretty expensive when you factor in the price of all the different seed
> wheels you need, especially if you are a grower who grows many things. I
> think it needs a better rear press wheel, and dont like how the one person
> said that beets get jammed up in it. I would think it would do the same
> with corn or beans, but someone else can attest to that.

In my case (short cool growing season), the cost of the rolls are not
such a big deal, because I plan on transplanting almost everything
(including curcubit, which seedling will be grown in jiffy pot). The
only thing that I plan on direct seeding next season are radish, beet,
carrot, beans and peas. Everything else will be transplanted. So I
think I need only four rolls. I guess that would be manageable.

For corn (which I am not growing next season), I am planning on trying
one of the stick planter from Johnny's. What are people thinking of
those? Do they work well?

On a tangential note: anybody has experience with the Hatfield
transplanter? There was a discussion about it on this list last year,
and the reviews where mixed. I am on the fence about getting one, but I
guess my back would certainly appreciate if I did! Which size would
work for transplanting 72 and 50 plugs?