market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wood chips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: "farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wood chips
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:45:20 -0500

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:23:03 -0500, Sue Wells wrote:

> Are wood chips a good mulch for around tomatoes, peppers, etc? I am thinking
> of getting a DR woodchipper. We have too many branches and hope this will be
> good to use. Thank you. Sue Vermont

I don't think they will work well for garden veggies, as they have almost no
nitrogen, and nitrogen will be pulled from the soil as they break down. As
far as using a woodchipper, I'd think twice about that one. I had a Troybilt
Tomahawk chipper for a couple seasons, and found that it was as much or more
work to chip the branches as it was to pile them and burn them, and the
volume of wood chips was surprisingly tiny. And the potential for using it as
a compost shredder was pretty nil, it seemed--way too retail. Not to mention
the gawdawful racket the thing makes even when idling.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/