market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wood chips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bobbett <bobbett AT windstream.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wood chips
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 14:46:38 -0500

Sue Wells wrote:

Are wood chips a good mulch for around tomatoes, peppers, etc?

The trick to using wood chips as mulch is to NOT turn them into the soil. Just let them sit there and slowly break down over time. I use mine on my flower beds (mostly) but also use them in areas that I want to smooth out or suffocate what's there so that in a few years time it'll be a beautiful growing bed to plant in to.

hth,
Bobbett, KY/zone 6