market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wood chips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wood chips
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:32:58 -0600

I have never used wood mulch with veggies, but for the last two years
I have had them on a few rows of raspberries. The rows with wood
mulch did not grow as well and produced much less then the rows with
straw mulch. Someone told me that the high level of carbon compared
to nitrogen in the mulch tied up alot of the plant available nitrogen.
Makes sense to me. It can be a great "free mulch" but then having to
add more N fertilizer may not make it worth it. Just as an aside, I
wonder if rain drops would splash higher after hitting the wood
causing more disease pressure with the solanme crops. FYI we put all
our tomatos under overlapping woven landscape fabric, not fail proof
but really cuts down on weeding.

Ben
Turtle Farm
Granger, Iowa