market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wood chips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: farmersue AT myfairpoint.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wood chips
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:07:12 -0500

I would not use wood chips on anything unless its for weed suppression on paths or landscaping etc.  The problem I have found with any dense carbon mulch is that you get a nitrogen dead zone that starves the plants you are trying to grow.  I do not see the same results from using it around the base of hardwoods or planting bulbs but surface plants never seem to do well.

I love getting the stuff from road crews but I ONLY use it for paths, horse trails, or in combination with cardboard as a weed suppressant on the paths between our raised herb and flower beds.  For those getting it free from sources unknown you can have a whole host of non-native, poison ivy, diseases from wild canes, and a whole host of nasties that might effect fruit trees and grapevines.  Remember that some trees are especially toxic for other plant life.

You also end up plugging a whole lot of holes in ATV tires if they were mulching up an locust.  :)

I am also trying wood mulch in unison with composted horse manure for mushrooms.  I have no results to discuss yet after starting this in mid-summer I may be opening a Pandora's Box by simply mentioning it, especially with no real working knowledge or education in the matter.

In the end I would avoid using wood chips as mulch to grow produce in.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855