market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] wood chips

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] wood chips
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:08:37 -0500

Hey Mike, didn't miss your point just added my own opinion and hadn't read yours yet!  Its winter and the snow was flying today!

I think that wood chips are fantastic in the big picture as is almost ANY organic matter.  I just spent the entire OEFFA conference bouncing ideas back and forth and attending seminars on no-till, cover crops, and longer crop rotations going through 5 or 6 different stages.  I am also about to engage in trying to recover a 45 acre piece of property of mine that was a gravel pit and is now a dry hole with a mainly shale and clay meter deep topping with a brand new cover crop of rye, orchard grass, and clover.

I'll be more than happy to mulch up wood chips for the long haul. Its all biomass to me.  I'd simply NEVER amend them to something I want to harvest from that same year or was not disease and pest tolerant.

Like all forms of agriculture experiences may vary.  :)

On a non-ag related issue...sort of...

We also get into the the whole Emerald Ash Borer Issue around us.  If you are getting chips from a couple miles away and you do not have it, you might get it.  Then you are guaranteed to lose all you ash trees in the next five years instead of waiting another half decade or so.  Not so much an issue in the winter since its almost a 100% kill off for the pest but not so much in warm weather.  Then again, not everyone is experiencing this yet.  At some point in the next 50 years our county will lose 12% of its tree.  All of them ash.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855