market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ant hills

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ant hills
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 13:46:42 -0500

Greetings,
Drowning the ants does work, especially if you use hot, soapy water. Soapy water breaks the adhesion so they drown, not float on the water. Put them to work tilling your land, use a jet of water directed at the hills, every time they build one and make it move. I have been know to work the soil by this method, when my tractor was stolen and I waited for paperwork to be done. Grits only work if A: they are the instant, super dehydrated ones, and B: they don't get rehydrate before the ants eat them. You may have fed them instead of harming them. Cinnamon is a spice they don't like, make sure areas that you don't want them in are sprinkled with cinnamon.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Ray M wrote:
I am having trouble with a bumper crop of ant hills this year. These are not the normal ants, these make huge hills that can reach over 3 feet across and over a foot tall. They are scattered around my farn, but now are they are closing in on my house and garden. And they bite! I've tried "grits" but that didn't help. I am reluctant to use strong pesticides because I get my water from a shallow well and believe whatever I put on the ground today comes out the faucet tomorrow. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the ants?