market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] fall crops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] fall crops
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:43:25 -0400

We've got all our autumn squash and pumpkins (soup type though we do grow a few New England style for October) in.  Then its turnips, late onions for late season green onions.  We'll plant carrots and beets at the end of August as its simply too hot here still to plant much else.  We are just now harvesting tomatoes and solid amounts of summer squash and beans.  I am still planting beans, yellow wax mainly, for later season harvest and will continue to plant till the end of august for restaurants.

It won't be till september that we can start growing cooler weather crops like lettuce, arguable greens, and radishes.  Its simply too hot right now.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855