market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] minimally heated greenhouses Seed startinggreenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] minimally heated greenhouses Seed startinggreenhouse
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:24:45 -0800

Probably depends most on your climate as to how economical it can be. We're
in the maritime Pacific Northwest, so a very cold night is 20 above. Most
spring temps hover around low 40s-upper 50s.

With that in mind, I've had good luck using germination mats alone as a heat
source in a small 8x10 hobby greenhouse. I also put tall gro-domes on the
flats to contain the heat during the night time, and on all but the most
miserable days leave them off entirely or at least have them propped open a
bit. Once they are up (mostly tomatoes and peppers), I continue to leave
them on the mats (w/o domes 'cept on really cold nights) and use a small fan
to give them a bit of a breeze during the day, seems to make the stems much
sturdier and they don't grow so tall so fast.

After 2-3 weeks they go in gallon pots, but still on heat mats into a 12x20
homemade greenhouse and are ready for sale in about a month. The bottom heat
really seems to make them grow sturdier and stockier. For whatever reason,
the cold air temp doesn't seem to be an issue for us.

The heat mats and thermostats were the biggest expense. I bit the bullet and
got the durable ones several years ago and am glad I did. Don't think I'll
need to replace them for many years to come. One drawback can be if you live
in a place prone to power outages. One advantage is easy-peasy breakdown and
storage when the season is over and you want to use the benches without
heat.

Kate
zone 7