market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cost to start plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jim and Julie Vaughn" <jvaughn AT rockygladefarm.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cost to start plants
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:16:53 -0600

Just an observation: cost can't be your only marker on plants. We went from
the house under bulbs to an 18*25 heated greenhouse 3 years ago. Plant
quality went up enormously and it is much easier to "hold" plants if it is
bad weather later than expected. Also we start many more things than we did
in the house- okra, squash, and extras of tomatoes, peppers, etc that let us
be choosier in what we plant. From a work and home(soil, watering, etc)
standpoint the small greenhouse has been one of the most satisfying things
we've added to the farm. It also removed a bottleneck to growing enough
produce to make the farm more of a viable living(not there yet, but getting
closer).

Jim

Jim, Julie, Dylem and Caleb Vaughn
Rocky Glade Farm