market-farming - [Market-farming] minimally heated greenhouses Seed starting greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] minimally heated greenhouses Seed starting greenhouse
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:52:30 -0500

Alison said:

Unheated greenhouses aren't particularly efficient at growing transplants in winter. WE use a minimally heated greenhouse with germination mats and the mats have insulation board under them.
Even cool nights (we keep our thermostat at 45-50) really slow plant growth.

Can anyone give more details about economically creating minimally heated greenhouse space?

I have ideas, of course, but I'd like to know what is working for people.

-Allan