market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cost to start plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cost to start plants
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:04:31 -0500

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 11:16:53 -0600, you wrote:

>Just an observation: cost can't be your only marker on plants. We went from
>the house under bulbs to an 18*25 heated greenhouse 3 years ago. Plant
>quality went up enormously and it is much easier to "hold" plants if it is
>bad weather later than expected. Also we start many more things than we did
>in the house- okra, squash, and extras of tomatoes, peppers, etc that let us
>be choosier in what we plant. From a work and home(soil, watering, etc)
>standpoint the small greenhouse has been one of the most satisfying things
>we've added to the farm. It also removed a bottleneck to growing enough
>produce to make the farm more of a viable living(not there yet, but getting
>closer).

The greenhouse is the ideal. I only wish I had a heated greenhouse.

In our area - which gets COLD COLD COLD in winter - (although not today -
it's really warm today) - it would be quite costly. The lights are a
darned good second best, fortunately.

Pat
-- Northern Pennsylvania

Good planets are hard to find; let's take care of
the one we have.