market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed starting greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed starting greenhouse
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:17:19 -0600

I'm thinking maybe:

-Sun hitting the flats in the daytime heats the soil too much through the

plastic wrap?

Entirely possible! Do you have a thermometer in a cell so you can monitor the temp?

-Heating mat can't keep up with the cold at night? Unheated greenhouse and

up on benches - would it be better to do on ground level?

At ground level, you would have even more problems from rodents.  Unheated greenhouses aren’t particularly efficient at growing transplants in winter.  WE use a minimally heated greenhouse with germination mats and the mats have insulation board under them.

Even cool nights (we keep our thermostat at 45-50) really slow plant growth.

-Mice at the seeds

Mice will eat seeds.  Traps are necessary.  They also love some plants – We have seen them mow down whole flats of pepper seedlings.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm, SC Kentucky, zone 7

Any other thoughts, or suggestions???

Thanks!!

Marcy

SE Colo - zone 5