market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Seed starting greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Seed starting greenhouse
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:33:24 -0600

When I use heat mats for germination, I remove the seedlings as soon as they sprout and grow on at 55-60 degrees.  Tomato and pepper seedlings grow well at that temperature as long as the light is adequate.  Leaving the seedlings on the heat mat can-especially if the germinating mix is soiless-lead to "cooking" the little plant.  A germinating heat mat is not the same as a heated bench.

Placing flats directly on the ground, without sufficient ventilation and depending on the temperature fluctuation of your house, can lead to other difficulties less simple to correct.

I have had endless problems with rodents.  Usually, they leave the seed coat laying on the flat as evidence of their raids.  Dratted animals!  I have had them dig up flats of sweet peppers before germination, but the seed coats give them up.  I once had an entire season of stevia seedlings decapitated shortly after germination..