market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] USDA vs Naturally Grown

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] USDA vs Naturally Grown
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 07:08:49 -0500

I am neither certified organic nor CNG and have no intentions of doing either. That said i was certified organic for 8 years and do know how an organic farm is supposed to be managed and do so. And this puts me heads above growers who claim to be organic or CGN but have never had to do the paperwork and pay attention to the rules.

The other thing I have found is because our farm was a certified organic farm about 99% of our customers (both old and new) see us as an organic farm and because of that strong identity we have with organics locally, there is zero reason to get recertified.

I suppose if we were going to get more into wholesaling we would probably get the certification paper but since we do a farm stand, a CSA and farmers' markets as the bulk of our marketing and because we already have a strong ID as an organic farm I see no reason to certify with anyone

lucy
Boulder Belt Farm
http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com