market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sam White <cedarrockcsa AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, quiltingsue AT earthlink.net
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] commercial kitchen
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:38:49 -0800 (PST)

In Maryland,

You can sell non-acidified jams, pies, etc. at
"farmers 'markets." The state classifies these
markets as both the typical farmers' markets as well
as farm stands located at your farm.

With that said, many of our county health departments
are unaware of that law. So sometimes you need to
talk to the state or the county to get a second
opinion.

Maryland recently passed an on farm food processing
law. We can become wholesalers of certain foods we
can make in our homes. Just need to take an 8 hour
class. Acidified foods are allowed, but you need take
an additional course on that issue.

Sam
Cedar Rock Farm
Mt. Savage, MD