market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Certification

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Certification
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 07:28:32 -0600

As one of our farmer friends says, "our customers certify us". That's
because we were certified for many years, they identify us that way and
we have a large customer base built up. We can no longer say the "O"
word about our produce, but nothing keeps our customers from calling it
that and telling others about it - free speech, I guess. That said, for
a new grower, building a customer base, organic certification would be a
valuable tool. A certified organic grower at our market probably would
not take regular customers from us, but would from the conventional
farmers (most of the rest of the market) and would attract new folks who
don't "know" that we grow organically even though we can't label. We
also know of a CNG farm that we have concerns about. I agree that it
works best where there is a largish number of farms that really
understand real organic growing - not here, not yet, anyway.

Not certified anything, but keeping our options open.....(but probably
certifiable, we are farming after all!)

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

  • Re: [Market-farming] Certification, Wiediger, Alison, 03/08/2006