market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] USDA vs Naturally Grown

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Shelly Elliott" <shelly AT idlethyme.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] USDA vs Naturally Grown
  • Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:43:09 -0700

Well said! I am a 7th generation farm kid (at least I still think I am a kid). I too have chosen to certify Naturally Grown and drop my organic certification for many of the same reasons that you discussed. Another big issue that I had with the Certified Organic farmers in my OCIA chapter is how heavily input oriented they were. Now I am not saying that all certified organic farmers are in this category and I am not looking to ruffle any feathers, just making an observation. Rather than discussing sustainable practices for the long term health of the earth these folks were discussing how much stuff they could dump on their ground to improve their yields. While there are beneficial inputs, it is the balance of the health of the soil that I am concerned about. I see some "organic" (USDA certified that is) practices as not much healthier than heavy input conventional farming.
The other "certification" issue for me was my customers. My customers know me and don't care if I am certified Dr. Seuss or certified organic. I command the same price certified Naturally Grown as I did certified Organic. My practices have not changed and my farm is only better because I spend less time on paperwork.
Finally, how to farm and how to certify is up to each individual farmer. Do the research before you make any decisions. Know the pros and cons for your farm.
Shelly Elliott
Idle Thyme Farm
Carpenter, WY