market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:53:51 -0500

To prevent cracking pick the tomatoes before any rain if the fruit has shown any color. Picking early has little to no impact on taste.

lucy Goodman
Boulder belt organics
new paris, OH

Vivian Kooken wrote:

I had problems with my heirlooms cracking from excessive rain last season.
I did not use plastic mulch around them, though, and wonder if that might
have helped to keep moisture more consistent.
Vivian
(growing in southeastern NH)