market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:34:16 -0500

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:27:16 -0500, you wrote:

>Pat
>
>Guess I better look closer at my catalogs, and your site too!

I went back after I wrote that and looked at my database: I
keep track of the 'cost per seed'. I pay from 5 to 12 times
more, on average, for hybrid seeds than for non-hybrid
seeds.

I don't charge customers that much more, because I can't.

I don't make any profit on a few of the hybrid seeds but I
sell them nevertheless because, in my case, the assemblage,
the suite, is important as I'm selling one-stop shopping to
container gardeners: enabling them to buy the
container-suitable zucchini as well as tomatoes, cukes,
etc., etc. - a complete vegetable garden.

My customers therefore don't have to incur multiple shipping
costs, don't need to spend their time trying to find
container-suitable varieties, etc. So having all the
different types is very important for me, even if - for
example - I don't make anything on hybrid zucchini seeds.
(I don't lose anything on them either.)

I do charge more for hybrids and generally give fewer of
them too.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.