market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:24:51 -0500

In my state we have the largest fresh market hybrid/ heirloom and processing
tomato evaluation project in the nation which includes two public taste
testing
each summer. We have discovered many great heirlooms and a few big losers,
hopefully we will narrow it down to the best varieties this year. But
regardless
of that, I have found at my roadside market when giving folks a choice they
almost always choose the big firm perfect looking rock hard red hybrids.
Its very hard to figure what the customer will like. Old young rich or poor
you
can present an heirloom variety with a warm and fuzzy folksy name, yet the
perfect big round tomato will sell first. I sell a tomato with the romantic
name
BHN 586 along side a sweetcorn called BC0805 not very impressive names but a
quality and flavor that brings cutomers back... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.