market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:53:36 -0500

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:31:37 -0700, you wrote:

>I have heard heirlooms can be more expensive to grow because many heirlooms
>(not all) produce smaller fruit plus cracking/disease is more prevalent in
>some heirlooms varieties. I planned to grow more this year just in case
>this is true as I don't normally grow heirlooms. Would anyone care to
>advise on this? I would like to know if this is true.

I grow both heirloom and hybrid tomatoes, and I haven't
particularly noticed this. Last year, like a lot of other
people in the northeastern USA, we had late blight and, in
fact, an heirloom tomato was the last to succumb (the
hybrids got it first).

Maybe it's true under different conditions, though.

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.