market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:58:58 -0700

Some hybrids may work for you but not for others. If hybrids taken off the
lists just get renamed, then the problem is still there that Pat mentioned.
Who knows what they used to be called? And those of us aiming at the local
market need a different product to appeal to our market, and to me that
spells open-pollinated, non-gmo, naturally grown. And I want to save seed,
and I can't save hybrids. Yes, there are a lot of great hybrids, but mostly
bred for shipping and appearance. Our market wants tomatoes that taste
good. If we have to hand out a hacksaw with every baseball tomato, we're
out of the game.

paul tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net