market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Vivian Kooken" <vslk AT thepipeline.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:58:50 -0500

> Vivian, Plastic mulch will make little
> difference in cracking. IIRC, cracking is
> caused by a fruit that has gotten to the
> point its' skin will not grow any more. It
> rains or the plants get heavy irrigation and
> the inside of the fruit takes up water,
> expands and splits the skin. that is why I
> recomend picking the fruits a bit early if it
> is going to rain. For I find my customers do
> not want split fruit and if it is split than
> either I make tomato juice or the chickens
> get the 'maters
>
> Lucy Goodman

Oh, OK (sigh). Still planning on using the mulch for other benefits it
should have in our short growing season. I was successful in picking the
Black Krims early last year and they did ripen just fine off the vine. One
variety, principe borghese cherry, seemed to *grow* cracked. I won't try
them again this year.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Vivian