market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] heirloom tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:31:04 -0500

Heirlooms definitely have the best flavor and I will still grow my favorite
heirlooms (and try some new ones!) again this year even though I have
trouble with cracking. But, I will also grow the standard hybrid beef and
early girl types as well to satisfy those customers that want pretty
tomatoes. I'm hoping that black plastic mulch with drip irrigation will
help a bit with the cracking. Some cooperation from mother nature wouldn't
hurt, either!
Vivian

W have been growing heirlooms for the 10 years we have been growing for market. In the beginning we grew no hybrids and our tomato sales suffered for it. We now grow 2 or 3 hybrid red tomatoes and some hybrid cherry tomatoes (can't beat sunsugar) because the big red orbs draw people in and tna we can often get people to try a heirloom either by talking them up or giving out samples (either a slice of tomato or a whole 'mater).

At our stand each variety has a card with the name of that tomato and a sentence or two about it's history or taste (some of these heirlooms have a boring history but great taste!). we try to feature a different heirloom each week and the featured heirloom gets a whole 8 1/2 "x 11" sheet of paper for a description. And we hand out recipes (really simple ones).

Vivian, Plastic mulch will make little difference in cracking. IIRC, cracking is caused by a fruit that has gotten to the point its' skin will not grow any more. It rains or the plants get heavy irrigation and the inside of the fruit takes up water, expands and splits the skin. that is why I recomend picking the fruits a bit early if it is going to rain. For I find my customers do not want split fruit and if it is split than either I make tomato juice or the chickens get the 'maters

Lucy Goodman